MEV is hiring for a Communications & External Affairs Manager
The Raben Group seeks a dynamic, self-motivated, and directed individual to join a four-person consulting team working to advance Move to End Violence, a 10-year, 80 million-dollar initiative to end violence against women and girls in the United States. The Manager of Communications & External Relations is a new position responsible for developing and executing a communications and outreach strategy to engage our targeted audiences, primarily via web and social media. The position will be based in Washington, D.C., will report to the Director, and will oversee any consulting contracts related to web, brand, and digital media.
About the Team
Over the past two years, our team has researched, designed, and launched Move to End Violence, a project of the NoVo Foundation that is designed to strengthen the movement to end violence against women and girls through movement building, transformative leadership development, organizational development, and an emphasis on social change. As administrators of this program, we are tasked with ongoing program design, managing and delivering content at several in-person convenings each year, supporting participating individuals and organizations, developing and maintaining a web and social media presence, engaging the movement and broader social justice allies, and supporting the NoVo Foundation in their media outreach and funder engagement strategies. To learn more, please visit our website at mev.wpengine.com.
We are a special unit housed at The Raben Group, a progressive public affairs firm that represents foundations, non-profits, advocacy organizations, and corporations.
- Devise and implement a comprehensive communications and outreach strategy to grow deeper understanding of and support for MEV and its goals and successes among targeted audiences, including potential MEV cohort applicants, advocates committed to ending violence against girls and women, allies from other movements, targeted media, and funders.
- Develop, grow, and manage MEV’s online and social media presence, including website, e-newsletter, email lists, blog, Facebook, Twitter, and photo & video libraries.
- Generate new content ideas and solicit, draft, and edit compelling content to keep the website and social media platforms refreshed and relevant.
- Develop a blog strategy, brainstorm topics, undertake outreach for new submissions, draft, edit, and post content.
- Facilitate list growth and manage the stakeholder database.
- Create online opportunities and respond to web-based inquiries with the spirit of an organizer, seeking to engage interested parties in our collective vision.
- Help foster a culture in which the MEV cohort and alumni play a significant role in communicating the initiative’s vision and mission.
- Maintain the website and manage development to incorporate new functionality and features; drive updates and redesigns as needed.
- Develop Move to End Violence’s branding for online communications and promotional materials that articulate the mission, vision and success of MEV, including print and digital collateral; collaborate with team to ensure internal and external materials share a consistent, cohesive look and message.
- Manage media relations. Recommend strategies for outreach, cultivate press relationships, respond to media inquiries, and draft press materials.
- Manage external consultants working on web design, digital media, and branding.
- Establish and monitor annual performance targets with specific indicators; measure progress toward meeting objectives and re-tool strategies as necessary.
- Various projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, or Political Science with an emphasis in communications and technology preferred but not required.
- At least 5 years of political or nonprofit advocacy campaign experience, with demonstrated success using digital and social media to achieve your communications and engagement / mobilizing goals.
- An effective communicator with exemplary writing, interpersonal, and editing skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize, manage, and execute multiple projects simultaneously in a hands-on environment.
- Significant technology savvy – including proficiency in Microsoft Office software programs, popular content management systems (Drupal), and social media tools.
- Experience crafting, pitching, and securing media coverage.
- Creative, strategic, and tactical thinker – able to see the big picture, develop implementation plans, and see them to completion.
- Ability to work independently and in coordination with internal and external stakeholders.
- Commitment to Move to End Violence’s mission and values.
- Successful candidates will be highly motivated, enjoy working in a creative, idea-driven, team environment, and will have a demonstrable interest in, and commitment to, social change and social media platforms; they will have a growth mindset, positive attitude, and great sense of humor.
The Raben Group is an equal opportunity employer and prides itself as a majority-minority firm. We highly value diversity and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Salary is based on experience and is complemented by excellent benefits. Metro accessible.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter by September 23, 2011 to email@example.com with your last name and Move to End Violence in the subject line (example: “Gonzalez Move to End Violence”). No calls please.
Comments are closed.