Move to End Violence’s Fifth Cohort of Movement Makers — Application Coming Soon!
In just a few weeks, we’ll be launching the application for our Fifth Cohort of Movement Makers! We’re incredibly excited about this next cycle, which will also be our last. Before the application is released, we want to give you a glimpse of what to expect.
MEV Cohort 5 will join our community of Movement Makers (learn more about Cohorts 1, 2, 3 and 4) working to strengthen U.S.-based movements to end violence against trans and cis girls and women and gender non-conforming folks. Through convenings, workshops, skills training, coaching and a community of allies, members of Cohort 5 will have a unique and transformational opportunity to powerfully contribute to movements for social change.
Are you interested in becoming a Movement Maker?
We are looking for people who are passionate about strengthening U.S.-based movements to end violence against trans and cis girls and women and gender non-conforming folks and see it as a significant part of their life’s work. The goal of this program is to practice transformational movement-building which requires us to stretch, be uncomfortable, and experiment. We are looking for leaders who will come to this program with openness and a willingness to try new things, and who have political homes to bring their learnings back to. Applicants must be at an organization or a fiscally-sponsored project that is committed to ending gender-based violence.
We are committed to engaging Movement Makers from and working in marginalized communities, especially those being targeted in these political times. We strongly encourage movement leders with the following identities (in no particular order) and/or doing work with these communities to apply:
- Based in the South, particularly the Southeast, the Southwest, and rural communities;
- Disabled or Differently Abled;
- Folks working to dismantle the carceral state;
- Indigenous, Native American, Black, of African descent, Migrant/Immigrant, Muslim;
- Preferred or first language is not Standard American English;
- Queer, Lesbian, Bisexual, Pansexual, Asexual and other sexually expansive identities;
- Survivor of gender-based and/or intersectional violence;
- Transgender, Two Spirit, gender non-conforming, gender non-binary, and other gender expansive identities; and
- Under 30.
Program Benefits and Commitments
Over the course of this two-year program, Movement Makers have the opportunity to build community, grow as leaders, and tackle complex movement questions. This intensive program runs from September 2020 to December 2020, with in-person convenings every few months.
Among other benefits, Movement Makers will have the opportunity to participate in:
- intensive, thought-provoking convenings in locations rooted in ancestral and movement wisdom with space for restoration and connection; and
- training, facilitation, and conversation with some of the country’s leaders in racial equity and liberation, transformational leadership development, and movement building for social change.
Other benefits include: a community of peers, individual coaching support, skills development, organizational coaching and development, and a three-year general operating grant with project support to cover participation time.
The Application Process
The application for Cohort 5 will launch early February 2020 and is due 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET on March 31, 2020. The application will be available in English and Spanish and must be submitted through our online platform unless other arrangements are requested to support accessibility.
Following the application phase, finalists will be invited to interview and to submit a grant application to NoVo Foundation. The program will start in Fall 2020.
Interested? Know someone who might be? Check back in early February for more details and the link to the application!